How to create a shortcut to shared network folder – what is a shared network folder – how to find the ip address for a shared folder.
Mostly we see desktop shortcuts that automatically create at installation of software. Sometimes we create shortcut of a file/folder itself. We select this file/folder and right click on it. And select Create shortcut. A shortcut of file/folder is created and place along that file/folder. We move this shortcut to our required place like on desktop.
In both above ways of making shortcut, the path/directory of target software/file/folder is automatically added in shortcut. We can also add this path/directory manually.
To create a shortcut in this third method; I select the example of “ How to create a shortcut to shared network folder”. Through this example, I try to explain shortcut of shared network folder.
What is a shared network folder ?
A shared network folder is a folder which someone or you shared on the network. Anyone on the network can access this folder; depends on the permission. You can open this folder through different ways when you have permission to access this. Best way is “create a shortcut of that folder”.
Steps to create a shortcut for shared network folder:-
- Go to Desktop or any other place where need to create a shortcut. Right click on Desktop and Select create shortcut.
- Shortcut is created and new window is appeared, for provide a path/directory of the target file or folder. Give a path manually or through browse. For example to open a computer folder; the path/directory is like this “C:\Users\UserName\FolderName”.
- Above we not use any backslash (\) at start. But two backslash are required at start to make shared network folder shortcut. Like “\\192.168.1.5\FolderName” Or “\\ComputerName\Folder”.
- After providing path of target folder, press next. Next you need to give a unique name to shortcut and press Finish.
- You can change the path of the Shortcut later from its properties. In properties, Go to target and change the path of the folder.
How to find the ip address for a shared folder
- As you are client user of the network and not the owner of shared network folder. Contact with your network administrator to find ip address of a shared folder.
- But if you are the owner of shared network folder than do the following step to find ip. Open Run and type ipconfig/all and press enter. Here you find the ip address of your system. Give this ip address to client users to provide access to shared network folder.
Please! Give your feedback and suggestions in comments. Contact Us! If you face any issue about How to create a shortcut. You may also like to read How to Assign a Static IP Address in Windows.