What is static ip address – How to Assign a Static IP Address in Windows (xp, 7, 8 and 8.1) – How to find this ip address.
As we know, for using internet we need ip (internet protocol) address. When we use internet ip address is assigned to devices (which are connected to internet like pc, laptop, mobile, printer etc). Sometimes this ip address is automatically assigned to our devices. This is done when our internet service provider (ISP) gives us a number of IPs.
We also use static IP address to use internet. Static IP addresses are not change automatically. Internet service provider (ISP) provides us a static IP. We must assign this ip to our device to use internet. Static ip address also used for file sharing over network. Therefore, we need to know how to assign a static IP address. Now, don’t worry about it; below is the procedure for assign static ip address.
Follow steps to Assign a Static IP Address in windows 7, 8 and 8.1:-
Process of assign a static ip address is same in windows 7, 8 and 8.1. So follow the same steps for windows 7, 8 and 8.1.
- Open network and Sharing Center in windows 7, 8 and 8.1 through “Control panel -> network and internet -> Network and Sharing Center”. Or right click on “network and sharing icon” from the taskbar and select “network and sharing center”.
- Select Change adapter settings from the top left in network and sharing center.
- You see at least two connections here. One is for Wireless Network/Wi-Fi and other for Local Area/Ethernet in windows 7/8. Select any connection (want to assign a static ip) and open its properties by right click on it.
- Find internet protocol version 4(TCP/IPv4) in connection properties. If you not see than scroll down “items used by connection”. After selecting this Click on properties (right below).
- Here you assign a Static IP address. You use ip address which your “internet service provider” or “network administrator” provides you. Subnet mask is automatically set. Default gateway is also get from network administrator. And use following DNS server addresses.
- Check Validate settings upon exit and press OK. If your ip address is valid than its start working, otherwise you see error on exit. Like ip conflicts. In case of error contact with your network administrator to get valid ip.
Follow steps to Assign a Static IP Address in windows xp:-
- In windows xp, assigning a static IP address is almost similar with window 7 and 8.
- Go to Control Panel and select Network and Internet Connections. Different network related material is available here.
- Select Network connections from “Network and internet connections”. In network connections select any network connection (you want to assign static ip address) and open its properties.
- Similarly in windows 7 and 8, find internet protocol (TCP/IP) and open its properties for assigning static ip address. When ip is assigned closes all windows and start using internet. Read step 5 from above for more details.
Hope! 🙂 You are able to use internet with static ip address. Now you can also provide file sharing with ip address. For file sharing read windows file sharing and accessing with ip address.